The Holiday Balancing Act - Indulging with Purpose
19 Dec

The Holiday Balancing Act - Indulging with Purpose


The holiday season brings about many temptations and can test the most diligent individual. One of the best ways to navigate these temptations is to have a game plan to help your through the season. A popular tool that we use is the 90/10 rule. Meaning that we encourage our clients to adhere to their individual nutritional plans 90% of the time and have some freedom the other 10% of the time.

 

The 90/10 rule, helps to remove any guilt or shame associated with deviating from your nutritional plan, and gives you the freedom to enjoy foods that may not be your first choice when fueling your body for success. Here are a few simple steps to help you indulge without guilt and stay close to the path you have chosen fro yourself.

 

  1. Do the math – determine what 10% really means for you. For example, if you’re eating 4 meals/snacks per day for 7 days of the week – that’s 28 meals. 10% of 28 meals is about 3 meals. That gives you roughly 3 meals each week to deviate from your nutrition plan.

 

  1. Don’t binge – schedule. Your 10% meals shouldn’t include downing a whole pizza or box of donuts. Rather, your 10% meals should include some foods, in reasonable quantities, that might not normally fit into your plan. Pick a day and a meal and schedule it just like your scheduling your exercise days. This will help you stay committed to your nutrition plan and have you looking forward to something different.

 

  1. Learn how to incorporate the food you love into your 90% meals. There are tons of great recipes books and healthy recipe options online. It’s often as simple as learning a few new tricks. With a little trial and error, you may be shocked at how easy it is and become so satisfied with the new recipes that you deviate even less than 10% of the time.

 

It is not necessary to live like a monk 100% of the time to have success with your nutrition plan. A little planning and some experimentation can provide you with many options to help you eat to fuel a healthy bod

BOOK YOUR FREE CONSULT
< Back to Blog